WNYT TV originally signed onto the Capital District airways in 1954 as WTRI TV, a UHF TV station with studios and transmitter site on Bald Mountain outside of Troy. One of the original owners of the TV station moved the studios to the site of a warehouse, once used to house Selective Service records.
Eventually the TV station was assigned the VHF frequency of channel 13 and changed its call letters to WAST TV. It was sold to Sonderling Broadcasting.
In 1979 WAST Television was purchased by Viacom International. In 1981 it changed its call letters to WNYT and became an affiliate of the National Broadcasting Corporation (NBC).
When Viacom acquired the station, WNYT’s operations were significantly expanded through the modernization and enlargement of the studios, newsroom, administrative and computer facilities, and a satellite receiving earth station. In 1995 Paramount, another Viacom company, became parent to WNYT.
In fall of 1996, Paramount traded WNYT and WHEC Rochester for UPN affiliate WTOG in Tampa, owned by Hubbard Broadcasting, Inc. Hubbard is currently the owner of WNYT.
After its first year as an NBC affiliate, WNYT emerged with more attractive audience deliveries in virtually every area on the station, both local and network, and the trend continues. Currently, NewsChannel 13 is the top rated TV station in the Capital Region.
WNYT-DT began broadcasting in October 2003. The antenna for our digital transmission is located on a community tower, with other broadcasters throughout the Capital Region, in the Helderbergs. When attempting to tune to WNYT-DT for the first time you should locate channel 12 on that receiver.